Saturday, August 14, 2010

True Beauty

I was glancing in the fridge this morning, deciding what I should eat while working on the morning sudoku puzzle. Excitement peaked when I noticed a blue tupperware containing the most beautiful site-perfect red raspberries. They stared at me while, I'm sure, I salivated over their perfect pristine structure and imagined their smooth, tart explosion of flavor inside my mouth. My morning became so much better after viewing this piece of heaven in the fridge. I did what any normal individual would do: I dumped some into a bowl, sprinkled a small bit of sugar and poured a small amount of milk on top. The end of the story occurred when I took a bite and realized that it was basically a piece of heaven in my mouth!



Really, summer is basically the best season and raspberries are living proof of how great it is. It's truly difficult to mess up a perfect, beautiful raspberry. They can be added to anything and it makes the dish taste and smell that much better-salads, smoothies, jams, pies, ice cream, muffins, soaps, shampoos. You name it, they only benefit the product. I'm sure you could even mash them up and add them to a soup and it would taste better.


I used to be super picky when I picked raspberries and would only choose the ones that were the most beautiful shade of red and had no sun damage; between only picking the perfect ones and eating half of what I picked, my raspberries were few in number when I brought them inside. Over many years of picking, I was eventually taught that all the raspberries were good, even the ones with sun damage and those that weren't the perfect shade.




When I went to the bushes picking a few days ago, I looked at my big bowl of berries: it was full of many shades of red, pink, maroon, purple and even a few spots on some with white. I couldn't help but notice how beautiful they all were, and of course, how delicious they tasted.



I'm glad to know that true beauty and character can be seen and known, even through a few faults, which actually increases the beauty! Let's hear a big "woot, woot" for the simple beauty of the raspberry (and hopefully embrace the last of summer and find some to eat too)!

3 comments:

  1. i've been LOVING the raspberries!!!!!!!! love the post & the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlei!! I just stumbled upon your blog!! You look so great!!! How are you? Where are you living? I sure miss hanging out with you and Linds!! Oh in case your wondering who this is... it's Julie Tubbs Spence. I am living in Boise, Shawn is attending BSU. Kadence is 2 now and we are two months pregnant with our second. Time goes by so fast it seems like yesterday we were roomies! Hope you have a great day!! You look just as beautiful as ever, in fact remeber Mikey??? He still talks about how you were the hottest girl he ever met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! You have no idea how excited i am to see a piece of the Julie Spence!!! Congrats on the sub in the oven. are you hoping for a meatball or a turkey? haha-j/k. that's so great! I'm sure you are the best mommy. What is Shawn studying? The next time I'm in Boise, I will for sure give you a call. I'm in Provo still finishing up with one last year of school for my BSN and currently looking for a RN job. Nothing too exciting but still having fun! Do you have a blog? I need the address so I can better stalk you- haha. Love you chica and I hope to keep in better touch!

    ReplyDelete